What do you need to become a Data Analyst in 2020?
DATA ANALYSIS is the exploration and manipulation of datasets to understand and discover various useful information from the given data which will help them in the growth and development of an organization.
The role of a data analyst is to collect, process, and study the given datasets to answer various queries which will help the organization to make informed decisions or to improve business practices.
Here is the list of things you need to pursue a career in Data Analytics:
- A Strong Passion For Numbers. If you have decided to opt for data analysis then I must warn you that it’s all about the numbers in this game. You are going to deal with a vast amount of data that are going to be in the form of numbers and you need to have a piece of basic knowledge in statistics in order to analyze and rule out an efficient conclusion.
- A Keen Interest In Computers. If you are a person who likes to spend a lot of time IN front of the screen (looking at graphs and numbers specifically), Then you have chosen the apt field for you. Data analysis is done using various applications or software such as Excel, SQL, Python, etc. It is an ever-growing field where newer trends and methods come out almost every other day which means one must keep himself updated to stay ahead of the competition. In other words, get ready to read/learn every. single. day!
- Familiarize Yourself With DATA. What is it? What does it look like? What is it made up of? What do people do with it? There is a large amount of information out there on the world wide web. Just go out, explore, and start getting comfortable with the world of Data before you jump in.
- Communication. A good effluent communication skill is one of the first things most companies look for. If you feel that your language proficiency is not up to the mark, don’t worry, watch lots of TV Series, Movies, YouTube videos, etc. If possible, start practicing with your friends/family or even a mirror and that’s more than enough to get you up to the mark.
- Learn Coding. There are various coding languages you can start with such as R, Python, SAS, or Java. One of the most commonly used programming languages which I would recommend especially for beginners would be SQL.
- Practice! Practice! Practice! Yes. Google can give you all the answers but a good data analyst will seldom need to use it. Check out sites such as “https://www.kaggle.com/” or “https://www.analyticsvidhya.com/” where you can find thousands of datasets for practice. Download and practice with those datasets, solve questions, ask yourself questions, check out their community to see the different ways in which others have solved the datasets.
With the evolution of technology, Data has become the building block for development across all fields. Be it Tech, Business, or Hospitality, Data is inevitable. The field of data science and analysis is one of those few fields that has been able to withstand the effect of the pandemic. The growth and development of every organization in the present era rest solely on one factor and that is DATA.